Cost is what you pay, value is what you get. In order to get good translations, apart from engaging good translators and good translation companies, we have some suggestions for clients to consider before, during and after translation.
- Be clear and realistic about deadlines.
- Provide background material, glossaries, terminology, style guides etc.
- Send translators a draft text if available so that they can familiarise themselves with the subject matter and start some research.
- Edit your contents before sending them for translation to eliminate ambiguities or errors and to avoid unnecessary re-works due to misunderstanding.
- Let translators communicate with the content originator or stakeholder if necessary to clarify any doubts.
- Be open to input and suggestions from translators as they have lots of expertise, which they are very eager and willing to share with you.
- Acknowledge receipt of a completed project.
- Give constructive feedback. If it is a job well done, let translators know.
- Pay promptly.